Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 16: OCT 21 ALDEANUEVA DEL CAMINO TO FUENTERROBLE DE SALVATIERRA (42 KM) 54,952 STEPS

Originally the plan was to walk the 34 km to Valdelacasa but I felt really good because of the cloud cover and the more seasonal temperature and decided to continue on for a further eight kilometers to Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. I also wanted to stay at the famous albergue there, operated by Don Blas Rodriguez, the parish priest, who has done much to revitalize the Camino in this region.

Some ten kilometers after leaving the albergue, I passed through the resort town of Banos de Montemayor. This is another Roman city famous for its thermal baths. Petra and Franck decided to have a soak in the spas but I opted to carry on. This turned out to be my last contact with them on the Camino.

There was a fairly rigorous two kilometers climb as I left the town but the views were spectacular.

A well preserved section of the Roman road out of Banos de Montemayor


Looking back at Banos de Montemayor

Then there was a glorious 15 kilometers of walking on a trail with forests on both sides and the sound of a river rushing through the valley below.



An ancient miliario and modern yellow paint point the way.

An interesting fountain for pilgrims to use.
Unfortunately there was no guarantee that the water was potable.

Towards the end of the day the sky started to darken and I picked up my pace to try to outwalk the upcoming rain. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful and I got soaked as I squished my way into the village. A semi-hot shower and some food improved the situation. There wasn't much point in washing and drying my clothes.


The albergue in Fuenterroble de Salvtierra

 The albergue in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra


The sleeping quarters.

No comments: