Sunday, February 13, 2011

FINALE

This project started as a follow-on to my first Camino in 2007. It rapidly grew into much more as my wife and I saw the opportunity to link it with Rotary International's mission to eradicate polio from the world. My personal challenge to walk the Via de la Plata was quickly superceded by this noble quest. During some of the toughest days, it was the knowledge that our supporters had pledged thousands of dollars that provided the incentive to keep me going. Previously  I stated that my first Camino in 2007 was one of the best things that I have done in my life; my second was one of the hardest.

By the time we wrapped up the project we had raised $ 54,158.

Below is what I wrote in 2008 to our supporters:

Thanks to all the supporters of the "Walk to Beat Polio".

I would like to extend my great thanks and appreciation to all those individuals, whether Rotarians or friends and family, who supported the "Walk to Beat Polio" project. Whether your support was financial and/or emails with words of encouragement, they all helped to inspire me to complete the walk. And there is no better cause to support than Rotary International’s effort to eradicate polio from the world once and for all.

There is no doubt that I underestimated mother nature when I thought that the weather this year would be much the same as it was last year. All my research indicated it might only be a bit cooler and a bit wetter. I had no expectation that I would face winter-like conditions for almost 10 days and I was ill prepared to deal with it. You can deal with hot and wet weather fairly readily as it is mostly a discomfort but freezing temperatures with strong winds is something totally different when you don't have adequate clothing. Those were the times that supporters made the difference. I thank you all for making the difference.

Hans

"The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet."

- J.R.R Tolkien

No comments: