Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 23: OCT 28 TABARAS TO CALZADILLA DE LA TERRA (34 KM) 46,371 STEPS

Now I know what a popsicle must feel like!

I woke up to hear the wind whistling around the albergue. It wasn't raining but ominous dark clouds were all around. It was going to be a very cold walk and I was happy that I had found a pair of gloves the previous night. For the next four and a half hours I walked into the teeth of a stiff blustery headwind. Despite wearing all my clothes, three shirts, a vest and a windproof jacket, I was still cold. Fortunately the clouds moved on and I didn't have to deal with rain as well.

Sometime there are no convenient places to
 paint a yellow arrow, so stones serve the purpose.

When I got to Santa Marta de Tera the walk changed from north to west as I walked along the bank of the Rio Tera. Mercifully the sun came out and the wind became less of a factor . In fact, the last 12 kilometers to Calzadilla de Terra were quite pleasant.

Over the top advertising for the private
albergue at Santa Croya de Tera

The path along the Rio Tera

In the evening I watched a bit of TV while eating dinner at the only bar in the village. The focus of the news was solely on the unseasonably cold weather, the 15 centimeters of snow that had fallen in the passes ahead  and the additional snow in the forecast. They interviewed some pilgrims who had walked over one of the passes in the snow...the caption was, "Camino Blanco de Santiago".

The albergue is on the second floor. There was no heat.

No comments: