Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 17/18: OCT 22/23 SALAMANCA REST DAYS

During the night you could hear the wind and the rain pounding on the albergue. In the morning it was still coming down in sheets. The street fronting the albergue was a small river of water. Of the nine people staying at the albergue, four hikers decided to pack it in and return  by car to their homes in Salamanca. The rest of us waited hoping in vain that the rain would abate. Eventually, four decided to leave but I decided to wait a bit longer. The four returned in about  forty minutes having been turned back by a torrent water on the trail that was too dangerous to cross. So, I decided to take the bus to Salamanca some 50 kilometers away.

However, to catch a bus I had to make my way to the nearby town of Guitelo about 6 kilometers to the east. I flagged down a car on the road and a very kind gentleman drove me right to the bus station. You have no idea how difficult it is to converse when absolutely no one speaks English and you speak very little Spanish.

Eventually I got on the right bus and an hour later I was in Salamanca making my way in the rain to the the plaza major (central square). With help from the turismo (tourist office) I found a nice hostal with a BATHTUB and a place to rinse my laundry...the bidet. HEAVEN! It continued to rain until the early evening and then the weather turned cold. It was -1C the following morning and snow had apparently fallen further to the north - unfortunately, the direction I was heading.

I felt badly about not walking this section but I had no choice since I couldn't remain at the albergue.

Even the rain couldn't hide that Salamanca is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.

An astounding central square especially at night when it is lit up,....

 Salamanca's city hall which is part of the main square.


City hall by night

Two cathedrals (which is very unusual)....


Both cathedrals can be seen in this photo

A beautiful river with pedestrian walkways....



Superb public gardens....


... and history beyond compare.

The extra day gave me the opportunity to purchase a waterproof cover for my backpack. It cost 20 euros but it was worth it since it is almost impossible to put the poncho on while wearing a backpack without help, even under ideal conditions. It is impossible to do so under inclement conditions as witness the photo taken by Franck on day six. It's just a bad design.

Now I can put the poncho on first and then put the waterproofed backpack over top.



Lastly I was fortunate to be there on a day when the local Rotary club had a meeting. Fortunately I had brought a banner to exchange with the president of the club.

No comments: