Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 3: OCT 8 CASTILBLANCO DE LOS ARROYOS TO ALMADEN DE LA PLATA (30 KM) 36,398 STEPS

Today was going to be a challenge. The first lengthy day (~30 km) with many hills and a significant climb towards the end. A smoking hot day and some problems with my arthritic right knee would add to the discomfort and challenge.

The first 17 km of the walk is on the shoulder of highway SE185. Fortunately there was little traffic. This stunning entrance to a "finca"(farm property) made me wonder what the house  that was hidden from view looked like.





It was even more fortuitous that the gate to the Parque Forestal de El Berrocal was open otherwise I would have had to walk the whole way to Almaden de la Plata along the highway. Once in the park the flora changed dramatically with cork oaks as far as I could see.  Made me think of the many bottles of wine I've uncorked.


The last steep uphill of the day was the climb to the Cerro del Calvario. There were virtually no switchbacks - almost straight up the whole way. The track was more suitable for goats.  My heart was pounding and I had to stop to catch my breath several times but in the end the views both north and south were stunning.

The trail can be seen to the left.

The white-washed buildings in Almaden de la Plata were magnificent in the sun.

Note the rocky trail.

The albergue is great with full facilities, hot showers and a well supplied kitchen. The local restaurant that served a menu del peregrino was closed so the four of us made a communal dinner with salami, tuna, bread, olives and lots of red wine. It was a satisfying end to the day.

No comments: