Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 28: NOV 2 LA GUDINA TO LAZA (34 KM) 47,306 STEPS

At La Gudina the Camino splits into two. The left hand  but longer route goes to Ourense via a lower and flatter path. The other fork goes over the mountains, a shorter, more dramatic and quieter walk. I took the latter.

Heavy fog and wind met me as I left the albergue. It was as if the wind were saying, "You've had two days without wind so now it's time to make up for it".

On my way out of town the aroma of freshly baked bread  took me directly to a little bakery. Half of the 50 centimeter freshly baked and still warm loaf of bread went into my backpack and the rest I happily ate as I walked along. It was delicious.

Not much to see here

Fortunately as I climbed higher the fog lifted and I walked through spectacular scenery for the remainder of the day as can be seen by this series of photographs.

Breaking through the fog

A bus shelter?

The hamlet of Venda Bolano



Reminded me of the Highlands in Scotland


Shortly after noon I arrived at the charming village of Campobecerros. It was Sunday and all the villagers seemed to be heading towards the church. The owner of the bar kindly open her shop for me and made me a couple of bocadillos instead of closing for the remainder of the day. 

The approach to Campobecerros
The huge downhill to Laza

Later at the very modern albergue in Laza, I met Federico from Spain. He was the first pilgrim that I had met since Julia eight days ago. He had left Sevilla about a week after me and was walking an average of 40 kilometers per day. Apparently he had four days to complete his Camino in order to be back at work. Quite astounding. 

No comments: