Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 35: NOV 9 CAPILLA DE SATIAGUINO TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (17 KM) 24,996 STEPS

On the last day of my walk I got up earlier than usual so that I could get to Santiago de Compostela before the start of the noon mass.

Grey skies threatening rain greeted me as the I left. Within an hour it started to rain. As I got closer to the end it began to pour down. They say that in Galicia it rains two days out of three. This is blatantly untrue. It rained every day while I walked in Galicia.

I arrived at the square on the north side of the cathedral at 11:40 and went right. Why stand outside in the rain? After removing my backpack and rain gear I found a good seat to hopefully see the swinging of the "botafumeiro", the smoke belcher, but no such luck. After the service I went to the pilgrim's office to get my compostela and then I found a cheap hotel for 15 euros since the very large pilgrim's facility on the outskirts of the old city, the Albergue Seminario Menor, was closed for the year. This was the same hotel that I stayed in the previous year with Markus.
First view of the north facade
The silver casket that is assumed to contain the remains of St. James

The main entrance (west side ) of the cathedral with
the statue of St. James at the top.

No comments: