Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 26: OCT 31 PUEBLA DE SANABRIA TO LUBIAN (27 KM) 45,030 STEPS

Once again it was cold in the morning but thankfully there was no wind. Unfortunately, the first seven kilometers were alongside a highway but the next 13 were a glorious walk through the mountains.

The Romanesque Iglesia de Santiago de Terroso.
I climbed the external bell tower.

The friendly bar in Requejo where I stopped for lunch.  That's
my hat in the foreground, but my head seems to be elsewhere.

It snowed heavily as I approached the top of the first pass. The trail passes beneath these automobile bridges near the summit. The peregrinos walk to the top of the pass but the  autos go through a tunnel.


The path turned to tarmac for a few kilometers after the pass but then it reverted to a glorious path through the forest, at least for a while. The path had turned into a raging torrent of water that was much too dangerous to walk. I had to backtrack to the highway and pound the pavement along the shoulder of a local highway all six kilometers to Lubian.

This is the path, not a creek!

 Lubian has a nice little albergue with 16 beds, hot showers, heaters and kitchen for a three euro fee. I had no competition for any of the amenities!

View from the albergue

No comments: